Sunday, January 20, 2013

spanish brown rice

Tonight we had tacos for dinner and I really wanted to make some rice...problem is, most recipes call for white rice. I found this brown rice version on allrecipes.com. I thought it was pretty good, but my palate is also very undiscriminating. :)

1 - 14 oz can chicken broth (low sodium even better)
1 - 15oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles (aka Rotel)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1 c brown rice

(Spices can be adjusted according to your liking. If you like it hot and spicy, add more chili powder, etc.)

Bring chicken broth, tomatoes, and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan; add rice. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed, about 1 hour. Stir before serving.

A rice cooker can also be used. Make sure you use the correct setting for brown rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment