Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Morrocan Chickpea Stew

From Charees!
Here is a healthy vegetarian crockpot recipe.  I try to eat as many vegetables a day as I can.  I often make my meals based on the vegetables I have on hand.  I'm sure you could add other veggies to this like zucchini, etc.  

Morrocan Chickpea Stew

1 onion, sliced
3 carrots, sliced
1 large can black olives
16 oz can Chick peas (garbanzos)- can be replaced with chicken breasts
1 can (14 1/2 oz) tomatoes or 4 fresh chopped.
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans chicken broth
1 tsp ground cumin
1 lemon sliced with peel on
salt and pepper to taste
garnish with fresh cilantro (optional)

Chuck it all in the crockpot and cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 3-4 hours, the flavors really meld nicely. The lemon is a must. If you use dried chick peas make sure to soak overnight first.  Serve over whole wheat couscous which cooks up in 5 mins. Could also be served over quinoa or brown rice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment